Grants For Single Mothers – Single Parent Grants And Financial Help

Single mothers and fathers in need of financial assistance to make ends meet can apply for single parent grants. These programs can provide supplemental funds that may be used to help moms and dads on a low income to afford the necessary expenses that come with raising a child.

These grants are offered by both government and local charities and can be intended to provide help under several different pretenses. The following will provide you with some essential information concerning the best grants out there for improving your life as well as the life of your child.

It may require some research in order to go about finding available grants. First you will have to determine just what expenses are giving you the most trouble. On average, this is typically food, medical care, and day-care services. Fortunately, there are now programs available for each of these areas and anyone 18 or older is able to apply for them. Younger individuals are still able to apply but will need to have a parent or guardian to apply along with them. There are typically certain terms that must be agreed to before any money will change hands.

When applying for grants, eligibility is going to be a big concern to most single parents. While each program has its own different rules to determine who will be able to collect from them, in general the following guidelines consist of the following:

You will have to be either a divorced or abandoned parent. There are exemptions however, such as when your spouse is seriously injured or disabled. If you find that you do not qualify to receive money from these programs based on your marital status, you may still qualify if you and your spouse have a significantly low income.

Some grants focus on providing much needed funds for single moms and dads who would like to go to college. Federal programs are the easiest to qualify for and include the Pell Grant and the Academic Competitiveness Grant. These are typically offered based on income and expected family contributions which single mothers and fathers qualify for. In addition, there are programs that have been developed to specifically help individuals in your condition. In order to learn more about this type of grant, the best place to go is to the financial aid office at your college.

In order to put in an application for single parent grants you will have to contact your local office of Health and Human Services. They can answer any additional questions you may have and can give you the application forms to fill out. In most cases you will have a follow up meeting with a social worker. In most cases the effort required to complete an application will be well worth considering this is a great an accessible way to provide you with additional income to pay for the needs of your children.

Single Mother Grants

Single mothers need to scenario plan when it comes to their financial commitments and being aware that the benefits of financial assistance can add peace of mind to stressful circumstances. There are a number of private funds and grants for single mothers available to apply for, which can become the light at the end of the tunnel, providing hope in stressful and confusing times.

Programmes funded by the government, private institutions and NGO’s are designed to assist single mothers. This kind of aid can not only assist to fund their own, but also their children’s educations as well as rent and medical expenses. Going back to school can be a daunting thought, considering the cost of education, the time required to study – as well as building up toward a career. There are plenty of grants that can alleviate these concerns.

Grant options are all tailored to various needs for example some criteria require single mothers to be under 25 to qualify while other grant types consider various realistic restrictions on income and circumstances. The Jeannette Rankin Foundation Scholarships is specifically for women over 35 years of age. The Women’s Independence Scholarship Program on the other hand, is tailored for single mothers who have experienced living with abusive partners. Be sure to double check the authenticity of the website and organisation.

When applying for selected grants, even if you are financially secure, your application may be denied. However, you can still prove to a financial officer that you need the money by filling out an ‘Application of repeal’ form. When you do receive approval, you must then approach an institution who will lend you the finance you required. Many single moms choose a national institution specialising in college aid or a local bank. Financial institutions however have terms and conditions when paying back finances such as withholding tax refunds and lowering credit scores.

Food Grants for Single Mothers

Since grocery shopping forms a huge expense for single mothers who have to ensure their children are not undernourished. Discount coupons are not always a practical option however Angel Food Ministries, a non-profit organization exist to provide food relief & financial aid to single mothers. The program tends hundreds of thousands of families across 45 US states and aims to provide $60 worth of fruits & vegetables for $30 to eligible single moms & families. A single unit of food is shown to feed a single mother for a whole month or a family of 4 for 1 week. All the food is supermarket quality.

In the case of food grants, Women, Infant and Children (WIC) is a government program offered by the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) offering food vouchers via an EBT card. This works much like a credit card which is topped up each month allowing single moms to purchase food for their families. The program provides supplemental foods, health care options & nutrition education with a target population which includes;

  1. Low income pregnant women
  2. Breastfeeding women (up to the 1st year of the child)
  3. Infants (up to the 1st year).
  4. Children (up to their 5th birthday)

An additional option, depending on your annual income and the size of your family may make you eligible for government food stamps. These programs assist low income single mothers with buying decent food to nourish their children. Additional single mother grants include the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Food Stamps Stamps Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

College Grants for Single Moms

In 2009 President Obama turned his focus to grants for single mothers and fathers via the federally funded Pell Grant of which the maximum amount has been increased from $5,350 to $5,500. In the next decade it is predicted to climb $6,900. These grants are awarded based on income and number of children in the single mother’s family. Low income single moms can research the Department of Education’s website within their State to find a fitting match for their needs.

With the demands on single mothers time there is little left to attend school online courses are offered by the government as a supplement to busy but ambitious moms. The screening procedures are effortless and mothers can do it from home. Proof that you are a single mom is required and you will be prioritised. Pell Grants for single mothers is such an example, available for learning online.

Minority groups can consider the National Black Nurses Association or Hispanic College Fund. There is also the Association on American Indian Affairs Displaced Homemaker Scholarships and when seeking grants for mothers of Hispanic origin, Denny’s Single Parent Student Scholarship can be approached. The MLA scholarship exclusively meant for minority citizens of US and Canada can provide up to $5000 in financial aid.

For additional grants one can also visit the FAFSA website and fill in their “Free Application For Federal Student Aid” which requires Social Security Number, Driver’s License, Income Tax Returns, Bank Statements and Investment Records to create an online application. To approve and sign your online application you will receive a personal identification number (pin) for verification or you can maul your authorised page to them. There is also the Common Knowledge Scholarship Foundation helps in purchasing books and study materials for single mothers going back to college.

The Difference between Grants and Loans

People often confuse grants and loans with each other. As a single parent, or any other consumer for that matter, it is important that you understand exactly what it is you are committing to before taking up a grant or a loan. The most basic different between grants and loans is that grants do not have to be repaid, while loans will have to be repaid, often with interest over a period of time.

In deciding who receives a grant the organization that allocates the money will place more emphasis on the circumstances and special needs, conditions and requirements of the grant applicant. While there are almost always some form of criteria that you will have to pass before becoming eligible, the single parents’ ability to repay the money will seldom if ever play a role.

In allocating loans on the other hand the financialSingle Parent Grants institution or loan organization will also consider the person’s ability to repay the loan. While special circumstances like the fact that you are a single parent may get you a reduced interest rate, additional time and more convenient terms under which to repay the loan you will still have to repay the loan amount at some point. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of your loan. Know what the interest is and the impact that any repayment schedule will have on your budget. Don’t let this deter you from going out and finding a loan that can help you support yourself and your children. There are great loans with very decent and flexible terms available to single moms and dads.

Sources Of Single Parent Grants

Grants for single mothers and fathers are primarily available through 2 sources:

  1. Government grants, and
  2. Private grants an loans

Government Grants – The US government have extensive support and grant processes in place to support needy single moms and dads. The Federal Government manages some of the best known grants – like the Pell Grant – while state governments and even local authorities often provide their own financial support to people in their jurisdiction. Government grants for single parents are focused around some primary areas of need like education, child support, healthcare, food, rental and living assistance. There great resources for government grants and assistance are:

Private Sector Grants – It’s often more difficult to find grants from the private sector. These grants are often only given to a few individuals each year and can therefore be more lucrative if you are able to secure one of them. The best source for finding private grants is the internet or in the case of education grants and scholarships by inquiring through the institution that you are planning to attend. Websites like can be a great starting point for finding scholarship grants for single parents

Beware of Scams and Rip-Offs – It is unfortunately true that there are a lot of schemes, scams and rip-offs on the internet targeting needy individuals with promises and sales messages that are too good to be true. Beware of sites that require you to pay to apply for a government grant. Very few if any government grant application procedures would actually require you to pay at the point of application. Also, be careful of sites that require that you subscribe to get access to grant information. Many of these sites will re-bill you on a monthly basis until you pro-actively stop the billing – a process which may not be intuitive or easy in itself. Be smart, use your common sense and do your homework before you provide and private or billing information.

Types Of Grants

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families

The single mother government assistance program which can be accessed online, will assist in helping single parents seek grants in the housing sector. One again, the forms needed to be completed to assess eligibility though their response time is known to be months. In regard to basic food needs there are voucher schemes run by the same department who drives Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

TANF provides assistance and job opportunities by extending States Federal Funds toward single parent grants and to implement their welfare programs. In essence TANF is a block grant program assisting recipients to turn temporary welfare into a stepping stone for work. Under the welfare reform legislation of 1996, TANF replaced programs such as Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), the Job Opportunities and Basic Skills Training (JOBS) and Emergency Assistance (EA) programs. Now TANF provides States, Territories and Tribes with Federal funds on an annual basis.

The fund provides up to $5 billion and exists with 4 major purposes;

  • assisting needy families with grants so that children can be cared for in their own homes;
  • reducing the dependency of needy parents by promoting job preparation, work and marriage;
  • preventing out-of-wedlock pregnancies; and
  • encouraging the formation and maintenance of two-parent families.

TANF Grant Criteria

Recipients seeking TANGF grants must re-enter the job market as soon as they are job ready, preferably within the span of 2 years after the initiation of the grant period. Single parents are encouraged to work for an average of 20 – 30 hours per week (depending on the age of their children).

Families who cannot find adequate childcare will not be penalised and adults who have received federally funded assistance for up to five years are not eligible for the program. TANF requires that single parent minors must engage in academic activities as well as live with a responsible adult in order to qualify for Federal assistance.

Child Care Grants

In the category of child care grants, if you live the Southern California areas of Greater Long Beach, San Pedro and Wilmington Comprehensive Child Development, Inc. (CCD) offers families with young children ages 4 months to Kindergarten services. Their focus falls on is income-eligible households and single-parent families. The agency is funded through both public and private sector grants, allowing many of the parents in their programs to steer clear from staying on – or returning to welfare.

CCD works closely with the community and local officials as well as the State of California Department of Education to provide affordable early childhood education opportunities via grants to underprivileged families. The organisation currently provides care and quality education for over 525 children whose families working or attending vocational training. Their goals include;

  • Providing affordable early childhood education and care for children, enabling families to work and/or participate in vocational training.
  • Educating and support families in their efforts toward greater self-sufficiency.
  • Promoting and supporting high quality nutrition programs for young children and their care providers.
  • Working with parents to provide the best possible care for their children as well as maintaining a nurturing home environment.
  • Increasing and supporting the parents’ role as advocate for their children in relation to school and community.
  • Advocating with community, corporations and public agencies to increase the overall quality of child care.

Single Parent Grants For Minorities

More graduates under African-Americans and other minority groups leaving college with four year degrees now than before in history. African American women rank among some of the most impoverished people in the USA and many wish to uplift themselves through education. Single moms in this category are driven by the desire to free themselves from having been in this state for so long. For these individuals there are plenty of grants tailored to their hopes and visions.

These minority group grants include Hispanic women whose numbers have overtaken African American women. South Western states have recognized the need to supply grants which will assist in equipping Hispanic-American women with opportunities for academic achievement.

While Native-American women make up the smallest ethnic group in the USA, many still only consider a high school diploma as their final educational goal. Isolation on reservations has contributes to these tendencies. Asian-American women are the fastest growing ethnic group in the country and women who are from disadvantaged, ethnic backgrounds as the first person in their family to attend college may be eligible for the Sallie Mae and Coca Cola grants for higher education. Single parents living in the USA who fall under these categories can thus consider these options when applying for grants as an opportunity to further their education in the interest of their families.

Grants And Resources For Day-care

Day-care expenses are a necessity in any single parent’s life and this can incur expenses that the parent is not able to carry. As a result of this need, there are plenty of support groups from government grants to employer supported programs for covering these costs.

The more common source of day-care financial help is at the local county Human Services office and Department of Health. In order to qualify parents need to be employed fulltime. Each state has different eligibility criteria limited to a year or two by some and varying in others depending on requirements. Child care facilities include offerings of single parent grants, flexible payment terms and scholarships.

“Head Start” is also a good source of grants for day-care and they are easily found online. This organisation will help you even if you have already received assistance form another program. For babysitters or nannies is a great resource for single mothers. Daycare Bear is one of many options available to mothers providing a network of services in your area.

Under the National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies (NACCRRA), Child Care aware was established to help families, a website that provides resources childcare provisions and help with grants for day-care. There is also for information on government related programs for single mothers which offer services such as: Child and Dependent Care Credit where you can get an income tax return if you paid a nanny while you were working or job hunting. In addition, the Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (CCR&R) will help you find special funding or aid day-care.

Grants For College

With the economic downturn there has been a rise in students applying to colleges and universities to embark on or continue their education. This has included an increase in financial aid for single parents many of which are female, tending children as well as a career. Frequent numbers of single mothers, older than traditional students are seeking academic education.

As a result, federal, business and local governments have created grants to attend the special needs of the single mother. Whether to better their chances for future careers or holding down jobs while caring for their children, these single moms attend classes. As a result, online education is becoming more convenient.

Some mothers have had to apply for state assistance or EBT benefits due to sudden unemployment EBT is the method by which the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) delivers cash and food stamp benefits to New York State’s recipient population. In this system, cash and food stamp benefits are deposited into electronic benefit accounts.

These forms of grants are accessed using a Common Benefit Identification Card (CBIC) and Personal Identification Number (PIN). The Card can be used at EBT participating ATM machines and Point of Sale (POS) terminals throughout the state and New York food stamp recipients may access their EBT food stamp benefits anywhere within the United States at participating EBT locations. Cash benefits may also be accessed at participating ATM and POS locations throughout the country. Cash Access locations can be found online.

Overview of Some Available Grants

A single mom or single parent living in the U.S. has access to many grants, and can find grants through the federal government, state government, as well as accessing the private sector, colleges and businesses. You have to meet certain criteria to succeed in obtaining a grant for all of them. What should be established is that there is a difference between a grant and a loan. Grants do not have to be repaid. Loans have to be paid back over a period of time. It is better to secure a grant than apply for a loan as you don’t have to worry about payments and interest. The following are grants benefiting single parents and their children.

The Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is free provided you qualify. It is available to single moms and also their children to assist in further education to obtain a degree. The purpose of the Pell grant is to offer scholarships to deserving single moms in order that they can improve their level of education and secure a job. It allows single moms to study without worrying about refunding the money. To qualify for a Pell grant you need a computer and an internet connection. Pell Grants for moms are awarded up to $5,500. You may also qualify for a $10,000 scholarship.

The National Smart Grant

The National Smart Grant is a merit-based award available to third and fourth year college students pursuing a degree in math, science, engineering or one of the foreign languages designated as crucial for homeland security. Eligible students can receive up to $4,000. You have to file a FAFSA. This is the Federal application. File your application as soon after January 1st as you can.

The Teacher Education Assistant for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

The TEACH grant was created to provide students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families, with upwards of $4,000 per year.

Academic Competitive Award (ACG)

The ACG award is available to first year college students who graduated from high school after January 1st 2006, and for second year college students who graduated from high school after January 1st 2005. This award is in addition to the student’s Pell Grant award. An ACG grant provides up to $750 for the first year of undergraduate study and up to $1,300 for the second year of undergraduate study to full-time students provided they qualify.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG grant is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions will be first in line for a FSEOG. This grant too does not have to be repaid. Recipients can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year.

Institutional Grants

An institutional grant is where the college makes up the difference between college costs and what a family can contribute. Under this category there are also merit awards offered to students whose families need assistance.

Other Grants and Awards to Research

  • peaChic Grant – designed for women in business.
  • International Fellowships and Grants – support postgraduate research, study and training for women.
  • The Sister Fund – gives voice to women working for justice from a religious framework.
  • Women’s Fund of Central Texas – funds to benefit women and children through arts, culture and education.
  • Rockefeller Family Fund
  • Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF) – awards educational grants to women from developing countries.
  • Women’s Independence Scholarship Program (WISP) – for formerly battered women for the purpose of getting an education to get stable employment.
  • Jeannette Rankin Foundation Scholarships – for mature women over 35 with low income. You must be in pursuit of an associate’s or first bachelor’s degree.
  • Philanthropic Education Organization (PEO) – $2,000 need-based grants to women who return to school to support themselves and their families.
  • Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Awards – for women who are the main breadwinners for their families – scholarships up to $10,000 each. Conditions apply.
  • Talbot’s Women’s Scholarship Fund – 60 scholarships of $1,000 each and 6 scholarships of $10,000 each for applicants seeking a bachelor’s degree.
  • Possible Woman Foundation International Scholarships – scholarships approx $2,000 to $5,000 for stay-at-home moms entering the workforce.
  • American Association of University Women Career Development Grants – for women with a bachelor’s degree preparing to change or advance their careers.
  • Accounting Scholarships for Women in Transition – $16,000 paid over four years.
  • Royal Neighbors of America Scholarships for Women – life enrichment scholarships for returning students – $500 each awarded to returning students over 21 and pursuing short term coursework.
  • New Horizons Scholarships for returning students – $5,000 each one-time scholarships for up to four years, awarded to a woman over 35 who goes above and beyond to volunteer in her community and achieve financial security.

American Association of University Women (AAUW) is a nationwide network of more than 100,000 members and donors, and has a long history of helping women in the United States and around the globe. Currently, it is providing more than $3.6 million in funding for more than 230 fellowships and grants to outstanding women and nonprofit organizations in the 2011-12 academic year. AAUW’s mission is to advance equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research.

The above-named grants should be enough to get you started. Be aware of people who ask you for money to make application. You don’t have to pay to apply for a grant. Take note of eligibility requirements when you find a program that fits your needs and be honest in your answers. Every program has its own rules and requirements. Some grants focus on providing funds for single moms and dads who want to return to college. Other grants require you to be divorced or an abandoned parent, or from a low income group, or seriously injured, or disabled. A great majority of the grants are to help women. Research the grants or programs you are interested in. Take note of deadlines. Federal grants and programs are the easiest to qualify for.


Statistics show that more than 10 million mothers and fathers are trying to raise their children on their own. The purpose of single parent grants is to help with day care, housing, schooling and basic family needs. The current USA economic climate is pressing for families with both mothers and fathers, for single parents access to financial aid can be of great assistance. Grants are commonly available to single parents over 18 years of age and unlike loans, grants do not have to be repaid.

25% of single parent families exist below the Federal poverty level while 83% are women-centred families. Some of these grants are given in exchange for community work which can be enriching and assist the parent in building important networks and resources within their community to fill gaps and needs they may not be able to in their child’s lives.

Grants can most easily be accessed in college. Scholarships for mothers are available to assist single parents to further their academic careers and optimise their opportunities to support their families. These include scholarships for women over 30 or Obama grants, to assist single moms with college education. The Federal Pell Grant allows you to claim $ 5,500 and submitting one may be worth assessing whether you fit the criteria. Single dads can consider on campus aid officers to assist applying for student loans or when applying for the Pell Grant. In addition to the government options, private organisations also finance single parent grants.

Get regular updates on work at home jobs and business opportunities. It's free!
Plus you also receive:
  • Paid survey invitations
  • Working At Home Ideas
  • Home business tips
  • Work at home job postings


  1. Mary Moore says:

    I am looking for some assistance in grants to own my own home. I am currently in bankruptcy and going through a divorce. I have three kids and their father is court ordered to pay child support; however, I have yet to receive a payment to assist with the kids. Also, I currently have a home which the mortgage lender is looking to foreclose because I do not have the income to pay a $1,200.00 mortgage. I need some help please.

  2. Im a single father with full custody for the past 3 years I have never recieved a dime of child support and am falling behind on my bills and barely making ends meet. i work 2 jobs and want to beable to drop one job so i can spend time with him. Is there anything I can do to get a grant

  3. I’m a single parent of three beautiful girls. Trying to make a better life for them, I’m going back to school. I suffer from severe migraines and had to take off of work for a while. Unable to pay my rent and give my children the basic needs of life and need all the help or point me to a direction that I can go to get some help. Don’t know what else to do. Could someone please give me some information on getting a grant for my children sake and mine just for the necessities in life. Please……

  4. LaTonya says:

    Hello…I am a young single parent of two kids ages 12 and 10 . At the moment I am seperated from my husband! I’m staying with my cousin but at some point in time I would love to have my own place. I am tired of letting some one do things for me and not having my own money. I don’t have a job right now but I am looking! I want to go back to college to get my degree in Cosmetololgy. I want to be able to live comfortable and give my kids the life that we all deserve! I really needs some help! Is their any one that can help me?

  5. Hello…..I am a single mother of one child that is 15 now. At this time Iim unable to work anymore back in 1994 I was in a bad car acciednt everyone was tell me that I should be alive… of 2007 my Doctor took me off work because of my back and I been off since.I cant even buy or pay for things my child need and she deserve alot but it hard for me right know just trying to make ends meet I can’t even take her School shoping…I really needs some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there any one that can help me PLEASE…..????? Thank you


    Hello, I’m a single parent of two and I am trying to go to school. Do you any grant that I can apply for.

    Thank you

  7. single parent of one child, does not qualify as low-income, currently attending school part-time, no additional income and would like to some help with childcare expenses. Where can I go?

  8. Hello im a single father of two, i really want to go to school to get a trade or a degree so i can finacially support my kids and help out the mother of my kids. I havent had a job in two years and its just been hard please if there is any thing you can do help.

  9. jiomarie santiago says:

    hello i am 26 got two children and going threw divorced before,my separation with my partner we share expenses and now, i have to deal with a rent and everything on my own with only a part time job , iam trying to go to school . I am looking for another job assap scared of being evicted from my apt cuz i dont have the money complete plus all the fees is impossible.I got my gas disconnect for 3 weeks withoout been able to cook for my kids and bathing them in friends house with warm shower .please anything will be appreciatted

  10. I am single mother of two, I have recently lost my car.My child that is chronic ill and needs to go back to doctors again. I looking for a prgam that can help us.Please contact us! Thanks in advance

  11. I am a single father with two children that i have full custody of and would like to get a grant to help us in bills food etc

  12. I am a single father currently raising a 15 year old daughter that I have had custody of since she was a year old. I have never received any financial support from her mother at all and was doing well for both of us until a year and a half ago when I lost my job. I don’t make the money that I once did and as a result bills are piling up and I am struggling to feed my daughter and keep a roof over her head. Is there any help out there?

  13. Hello, i I am a single parent of four 5, 8, 12, and 13, which I am looking for help toward paying for nursing school and help maintaining my budget at home. thanks any help is appreciated…

  14. I am a single father of 3 that’s in search of assistance to help me and my kids get a house. I am a full-time forklift operator who works hard to make ends meet just so my kids can have what they need in life. It’s very difficult for me to provide what’s needed because I don’t have transportation and any kind of means to get around to where we need to be or go. I am hoping and praying that this grant assistance will surely assist us with what we are desperately in need of.

  15. Jan Alverio says:

    I’ve been a single parent for 7-8 years. I’m starting to hit rock bottom more than ever! I have three jobs that are not permanent. My ex-abusive fiance of whom I’m tryin to get my son back(the father has severe adhd/bipolar and doesn’t take medication) ruined my college career, wouldn’t let me work for 18 months(which hurt my chances of advance pay in the medical field), abused my three older children and myself. It’s been a year and the effects of being with him are taking its toll! I don’t know how I will be making rent in the next two months let alone move out, pay for $1000 worth of car issues, pay for my recent car payments/ issurance, buy my boys( who share a birthday tomorrow) a present and buy a present for my daughter a week later. All of my job aren’t consistent which is no fault of my own though I consistently apply for jobs frequetly. These employers know that I’m looking because a single-mom of four who is in jeopardy of losing her own, I may consider having my parents take them back to Hawaii. I have another year of school left. I am a full time student and I will be graduating next summer. I have to take my remaining 5 classes my next summer and fall to get me out of the 2 year hiatus from school. I am planning to become a RN then a pediatric doctor. I love being in the medical field. I am grateful that I have 4 healthy children. I have every reason to become what I what to become. For my children, myself and everyone whom I save on a daily basis. Its my passion! Its my life! For my school paper, I am writing a business plan that I plan to take to President Obama. Its to help single parents like me in severe crisis due to abuse of all types, death/ separation, etc. It will be the “segway mediator” for any entity out there. Is there any one that could help us?

  16. I am a single mother of 2 and I am interested in furthering my education so that i can better care and provide for my family. I am looking for grants that can assist me with paying for school. I am willing to start off small, say phlebotomy so that I can make more money and be able save so that I can attend nursing school in hopes of obtaining my RN-BSN. I do not feel as though my past experiences in life are relevant other then the fact that I have been on my own with 1 child since I was 19 and in 2008 I was blessed with a son and I am simply tired of telling my children that we cannot afford to go here and go there as well as wandering what we will eat on a day to day basis while attempting to make my money last from paycheck to paycheck. If there is a grant available that could help me at least get started on the road to bettering myself so that I can later provide a better life for my children please let me know. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks and God Bless

  17. Hello, I have never done this before. I’m a single working mother of two children (age 7 and 5). Haven’t recieved anything from their father in the last 2yrs. It’s just really been very challenging to cover all the monthly cost of everything. Does anyone have any information that may help with my month to month expenses. It would definitely be appreciated.
    Thank you and Take care

  18. Robert Alvarez says:

    Hi… Im a single Father of 2 boys. They are my world. I actually work very hard, But am just barely squeeking by. The mother lives in a different State and hasnt helped in years. I would just like to find a Grant that could Help me get back on my feet.

  19. Okay-can Ijut begin with this. Whenever I go on line to locate help wth a single mmom issue, lost job-bankruptcy, forcloseure, all of which hve suffered, I get this” GO BACK TO SHOOL” well folks that does not solve crap! The issue is at and now hand NOW and school doesn’t put the food on the table and clothes on your back! I cannot stand to lose one more day wasting my time regarding colege. You’re a uless piece of crap uless you have a college degree- a piece of paper, I have 30 years exprience. School- what about the kids spending thousand and can’t get jobs? The hell, I’m gonna lave my kids alone all night going to school and getting not onethng for it!!! There needs to be more hlp than school in ths flipping country!!!

  20. FinancialAdviceForSingleMothers says:

    How can you change your financial situation? The first step is to realize when your own limitations have been reached. If you can’t make a difference in your life on your own, it’s time to look for an external hand to help you change your life.

    Now what do I mean by change your life? I mean do something that can make a difference in your life – get a new job, go to college, start your own home based business. This change often requires some financial assistance.

  21. I’m a 18 year old single mother, my daughter is 21 months. I’ll be assisting at a community college in this upcoming spring semester, I need help pay for school, rent, and day care services! i’m not sure what to do, I really need help directing me towards what i should do?!

  22. I am a single mother of 3 , one which is a 9 year old autistic boy. We have been struggling since my divorce 5 years ago eventhough I am a teacher. My outgoing bills supersedes my income. i am in need of money to pay our daily living costs such as electricity, phone, cable, and medical bills. I have one outstanding credit card bill , an old school loan , that I am also behind in. I WOULD BE OVERJOYED TO GET ENOUGH HELP TO JUST BE UP TO DATE ON MY BILLS WITHOUT LIVING ON THE MONEY i SHOULD BE PAYING TO BILLS!! please help me!!!

  23. Tamara Ortiz says:

    Hello… I am a mother of two small children ages 3 and 4, I am in the middle of a divorce and trying to get back on my feet I recently lost my home because I could not afford them. My husband pays no child support, and right now I can find no full time work, or a baby setter. I need help getting a house. Please help us.

  24. Marcus J Id-Deen says:

    I am a single father of 2 beautiful children. I work 2 jobs and I am struggling to pay my rent, provide food, and childcare. I am in need of help, but whatever agency I call they tell me that they only accept single mothers. I reside in Akron, Ohio and there is no help at all. I am 21 years old with a 3 and 1 year old. I dont have any where to turn for help that I need despretly. So if there us someone, anyone out there that can at least give me a little help or point me in the right direction please e-mail me.

  25. James Burrell says:

    As I believe that the Lord is my shepherd and will guide me, I continue with a financial struggle for me and my two daughters. I have been a single parent for 7 years and have worked very hard supporting me and my two children. This year I lost my job. It didn’t pay much but it was enough to keep us all fed and clothed. I was blessed by finding a new job soon after although it pay’s practicly minimum wage. I’m behind on my mortgage and utilities due to my financial hardship. I have began selling my valuables on eBay just to pick up some extra cash so I can still give my two daughters a somewhat nice Christmas. If any charities are able to help us out at all, we would most definitely be gracious. Thank you for caring and God Bless!

  26. Hello I am a single mother who needs some financial stability. The father of my only child thinks he can just give when its more convienent for him. I need some true help so that I can get on my feet. Can anyone please help?

  27. I am the single mother of 3 beautiful children. I am working full time and in college full time. My childrens father left us a few monthes ago after 8 years and I do not know how to handle everything alone. I am seriously struggling to pay my rent, bills, gas money, food and child care. If there is anyone out there who knows where I can find sme help with these things I would greatly appreciate it. God bless.

  28. Hello,

    After reading quite a bit of these post, I feel that Im not alone. I have been a single father of twin girls for appox. 10 years. I have never recieved any money from thier mother due to a bad car accident. I’ve never asked anyone or any company for money to help, but the time has come to ask for guideance. I realize that I cant do this alone. if someone could point me in the right direction. I do not mind working for it. i just want my children to have the opportunity. Please Help…?

  29. nakkisha dow says:

    i am reading these blogs an i dont see a single bit of info that will help at all i just had back surgery out of work no money an no where to turn i truelly dont know how im going to feed my child or keep a roof over her head for that means so if there is anyone out there who can offer real help please send it out to those who need this like my self an others i read on here please thanks an god bless

  30. Hello my I am a 19 year old single father of a 2yr old girl…. I worked 2 full time jobs to support he and finished high school… As everyone know the cost of living is pretty high and I don’t have any money to spare…I considered the military but was denied because of my dependent. So I would like to know if there are any grants or loans available for single fathers like myself. I would really like to continue my education to give my daughter the best life possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated…

  31. I am a single mother of three two boys and a girl ages 2,4,and 6. After reading some of these i see that there are alot of people out there that are going throu it too. I am thankful that i do have a job, even though it hardly gets me by. Childcare comes to about 850 a month by itself not even including other bills rent lights…ect. i have no car always on the bus. It irratates me to have to make my children walk all the time no matter the weather. it is hard out here right now but u have to keep n pushin as bunn b would say 🙂 remember these kids are innocent and they dont understand and its not there job to understand this either. just do whatever you have to do to make things work…you have to. and dont ever forget to pray it does help.

  32. I would like to get some help relocating. I am a mother of 3 and I need to be able to live in peace and raise my children in a healthy loving home. I have tried many place to seek help for single mothers but have come up short. Is there any place a mother can go to seek help with moving out of state?

  33. irene kisaakye says:

    iam a single mother with four chldren am looking for help for my children’s education and me my self also i request for help so that i can move on with a good life and my children or if there group or groups which can help or sponsors who can help me pleased do help me becuase we are badly off even my children need to go to school
    am waiting for a reply if am considered with my problems my mom is there but also poor and she was also geting from me but now am block i can’t help her.

    thank you

  34. Byron Giddens says:

    Has anyone here made any progress here and received anything? Please someone email me and let me know more about this.

  35. Hello Im a single parent of two kids,my son is disabled and has Prader willi syndrome.Im requesting help to move out of new york to south carolina to build a better life for myself and my kids. Can you please give me any imformation you have that can help me along my journey.If there is anyone that can help me please send me an email .Thank you very much.

  36. Michelle Martincich says:

    I am a single mom with a 4 year old little boy. I have been unemployed for 2 years now and finding difficulty in finding a job.Currently I find myself in a position were I cant pay my rent( my brother paid my rent for the past 2 years and cant do so anymore) and will have to move, I dont know how or where I am going to get the funds to do so. Please is someone give me advice or assist me. I am at wits end and don’t know where to turn to.

  37. Chunichi Echols says:

    Hello my name is Chunichi, im a single parent of a son who is 6yrs old. I work two jobs and is about to enter college in the fall. Im struggling trying to make ends meet, and my son father does not help me financially is there anyone who could help me.

  38. It really is a struggle to find legitimate grants for single mothers. There are so many grants for single moms scams to avoid. This article is a very comprehensive list of possible places to look for grants for single moms.

  39. Hi everyone, I am a single mother of four small children. After reading this I wonder if I’m doin all that I can. My husband has subsance abuse issues and does not pay child support. Throughout our ten year marriage I have not worked, but stayed home with the kids. I am optimistic but I still worry. We recieve $800 in food stamps a month, I’m on the list for CCS (child care assistance) I qualify for Temporary assistance for needy families but they require that you work 30 hours per week and only walk away with $300 a month. I could be working somewhere else and make more. I am a full time student though and substitute teach. I am broke, but once I start working, I think things may be managable. Here’s my advice. Go online to your states’ dept of health and human services and fill out the forms for Medicaid, food stamps, CCS, TANF. They will call you back with to schedule an interview and your social worker can help you with any resources you may need. Talk to your church for any resources also. Our church has a ministry that is for single parents (ministering to the children with rides, play time, fun nights out) I’ve also gotten great grants through the FAFSA for school. I will be looking for more grants and will post if I find anything. I live in Texas btw. There are also womens shelters that can help. And you don’t have to stay there, they offer resources to help get on your feet. I’ve also heard that the united way is helpful, but I haven’t checked it out.

  40. Hello people, I see that their are a lot of programs and support groups out there for the single moms out there!…. But, what happened to all of the programs and financial help ad support for the single fathers??? I do understand that a lot of men has not stood up and acted accordingly toward the duties as a parent, father and a man. I am struggling to take care of me and my two girls and I am doing the best that I know how. I do what i can to supply my girls with what they need but it doesn’t even pan out that way because my bills are always piling up. I want to file for section 8 housing but don’t know if I qualify because I am a male(single) parent……. Any advise from any one ??????

  41. Hello I, Like all of you here am a single parent …. I have two little ones 4 and 3 girl and boy …
    almost a year ago I split up with the mother of my children since then,.. I have been the one to supply everything for them take care of the bills and find a job durring the time when we split up I was laid off… now trying to find a way to pay for everything I was able to land a part time job in retail not enough hours bills are high and its a bundle in gas each week just to get back and forth to work each week takes half my check I am currently looking for another job unfortunately my vehicle is breaking down fast and I am afrain as soon as I lose my vehicle with no money to spare to even repair it … I am at a loss as to what to do .. If i lose my vehicle I will lose my job and therefore lose everything else along the way… I am trying the best I can with what I was givin for my children and I … and was wondering is there any gov. grants that help in these types of situations …. I am desperate info is greatly appreciated .. Thanks and god bless

  42. The truth is we have it bad! We have children with people who don’t won’t or can’t help support them. We ask for a helping hand and get denied.. why? Because we refuse to sit on our bottoms and milk the system while some people are 12,000 a month to foster care their grandchildren. Then there are others who drive 50,000 dollar vehicles have their hair and nails done weekly yet won’t work because it will cut down on their monthly hand out. It’s time to stop it and stop it now. It will not get any better until we start standing up for ourselves. I know many of you like Obama but his spending has got to stop! I’m overjoyed he brought the troops home and ended the war, but this country isn’t prepared for that. When all those veteran’s come home, most of which are reserve what’s going to happen to the unemployment rate when they take back the jobs they left and put those hired to fill in out of a job? We should lower our epa standards and open our factories back up produce our own products increase gnp and put America back on top again. Why do we send millions to China for aid yet owe them almost half of our national debt? Why don’t we use that money we GIVING them as payback to what we borrowed? Why do we send Egypt ten million a year to fight terrorism? Let’s put some of that money in Americans pockets. Cut back on the international relations a bit and help ourselves. We have an immigration problem that law makers refuse to address, yet see nothing wrong with securing the border between North and South Korea….. Why do we do so much for everybody but us?

  43. Philip K Mutai says:

    I am a Kenyan single father of 5 children. I lost my wives through sicknesses. For the last 12 years I have been trying to give the best to these beautiful children. The first borne is through with college education, the second and third borne are now in college. This is where the challenge is, I find it challenging to pay their tuition of approximately 2,000 US dollars per year.
    I am pleading for assistance especially for the two in college
    The other two children are in primary and high school respectively. their tuition is not a challenge.

  44. shannon streithorst says:

    I am a fourty four year old woman with two boys now 13 and 17 that have been more than a handful.
    Have been raising them on my own forever with no help, I overdo myself so much always that in 1997 I acquired a very large herniation on my lower disk and my whole world changed for the worse in an instant. Was already hard supporting these babies on my own now I had become partially disabled,and my second son was born with deformities in his feet and legs and has been in and out of hospitals for 13 years when I wasn’t in the hospital over my back or my three heart procedures. I was thankful that I was strong enough to fight for disability but I’ve had to always work hard as well and is never enough. The boy s need things, I can’t pay for sports or trips or clothes they like much less take care of my hearing problems or teeth problems and especially transportation problems. Can always only afford a crappy vehicle w problems and have a big ticket I can’t pay off because of a defective car and no help. And… I just was layed off of ..the job that I enjoyed Oh lord it never ends but I just ke ep on trucking.

  45. hi im in desperate in need in helpin pay my $3000 dollars bills and debts anyone interested to help me and my 2 kids out and im only 21 and im a single mother of 2 kids ages under 3 please anybody… it will come in alot in handy if anyone support us thank you kylie… please feel free to email me…

  46. Charlenejimenez says:

    Im a single mother of two children 6yrs and 4yrs i have workwith special ed kids as a teacher and was lead off and looking for work and looking for a place to live i need help with housing i receive cashaid and foodstamps medical and dentalformy kids

  47. I am mother to be in about 7 weeks, i do not have a job no place will hire me and the father is unable to work due to medical issues but does not qualify for disability. We are about to lose our home and the county can’t help. If anyone has any information about housing grants or financial grants or anything to help us i would really appreciate it! I just want a good stable home for my son.

  48. I do everything that I do for my beautiful four year old daughter, the only problem is, I haven’t been able to do much of anything. I feel trapped and have come to the end of my rope because I cant work or go to school or do anything because I do not have anyone to care for my baby. I am a single parent and have been a single parent for all the years my child has been on this earth. I do not receive child support because my childs father is always incarcerated. I have went to the local DSS and I have searched online but I have found no one to be successful at getting me anything except for food stamps. I have had to move back in with my relatives and I have one job that I can barely maintain working 16-20 hours a week, now how that is supposed to help me with me and my childs medical costs, clothing, etc I don’t know, its barely enough gas to make it to work during the week making minimum wage. I just know that there has to be help out there somewhere maybe I just haven’t been looking in the right places. As a parent not being able to provide for your child makes you feel like a complete failure and now I sit up at night losing sleep wondering how we will make it through the next day and how she will get this or that. I never knew that I would be a single parent just like people who are on drugs and stuff never grow up saying they will be drug attics with that being said I feel as if America punishes you if your not married and making 6 figure salary but no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, not saying that my child is a mistake but if she was planned I would have tried to be financially stable. Everyone needs help sometime with something and if there is anyone out there that can help me PLEASE don’t hesitate.

  49. I am a divorced stay at home mother of 3. I have a medical condition which requires me to be considered high risk when pregnant. We both decided I’d stay home with our kids while he worked. I then had another child seventeen months later. Right before he filed for divorce we filed for bankruptcy. I’ve been off work for 6 years now and am having trouble finding a job to support myself and my kids. Lies were told and other issues arose so I do not have full custody he does while I have visitation. I’ve been living with my parents for the last 3 years & finally started college last semester. I need to move out next month but am at a loss as to what programs are available to me since welfare cut me off when I started college. I also have to pay child support even though I do not have a monthly income.
    Where are the programs that will help a single parent trying to get back on her feet to support herself & her children??

  50. am single mother of three girls the husband sold every thing we had together
    after that he told me that i should look after my self and care for my kids
    no business no land no house no school fees am their struggling.
    where are the programs that can help
    a single parent to support herself and her children

  51. Stephannie says:

    I am a single mother of 2. During the time I have been legally separated from the father of my kids he has not paid any money towards daycare. I am currently in debt to daycare of close to $7000. In addition, I have not received child support for over 2 years and now I am unemployed. I have a large amount of medical bills from an accident that happened in 1998 that will cause me problems for the rest of my life. I have returned back to school but due to high anxiety from the stress of the amount of money owed and not receiving child support I have had to take a break to try and find a job and pay even my monthly bills. I have yet to find a job. It feels like no matter what I do I can’t win. I feel like I am such a disappointment to my kids. Now I can’t take my kids to daycare if I get a job interview.
    The items I mentioned are minor compared to the whole story. There has got to be some help for single parents who are trying to lead a life that doesn’t include high amounts of stress because of extremely high bills. For parents who just want to have a sense of security each month. Like being able to pay their rent and bills without worries.

  52. Gary and Logan says:

    Hello Sir-Madam.I am writing in an effort to immigrate my legally adopted(orphaned) Daughter”Logan” now 9 years of age and with me since birth.We are marooned in the Philippines and have found it impossible to go home to Florida exhausting all legal efforts through USCIS and U.S.Immigration so far.Her adoption petition was Court awarded 6 years ago and I have been trying to take her home since.I am a born and raised U.S.citizen with residence in Plant City Florida.I am on total S.S.physical disability and have been without mandatory 90 day exams and medications I was told our crucial to sustain life for 4 years now however am a capable and loving father.I am in full compliance with the “Child’s Citizenship Act”(adopted by U.S.and Phil.) and also Philippine adoption laws doing the full legal process.The adoption costly and taking 2 years to complete-none the less necessary and worthwhile.
    I would like to explain our situation and what has transpired thus-far.
    Her adoptive mother sold all our possessions including,toys,furniture,and in short all earthly possessions over 6 years ago and absconded to the U.S on what had to have been falsified visa documents.We have heard from her only once asking forgiveness (meaning she was out of money and needs more) around 2 years ago.
    It may sound harsh but “taking advantage”of a foreigner is an admirable trait here and usually not only ignored by but supported by law.There basically are no abandonment laws nor is there a functional Child Welfare Department.This was discovered early on as “my wife” her adoptive mother deliberately overdosed Logan with medication she was allergic to almost causing her death at 2 1/ 2 years of age.When reporting to DSWD here I was told to hire an attorney.By law Logan would be in custody of the “mother”and I would be liable for court costs and support till a judgment was made 4-8 years down the road.I was warned that Logan’s adoption may be revoked.This along with the fact that if Logan is kidnapped by my “wife’s family here by law I would pay ransom to them or file a lawsuit and 4-8 years be given back rightful custody.Meanwhile she would be with them or in a non-existent orphanage.We live with this fear every minute.Sad but true most children here are considered a commodity(especially illegitimate) and are forced to scavenge or prostituted very young.It is barbaric and heartbreaking but prevalent.
    I am sure this would be Logan’s plight if something were to happen to me as she was never”equal”to the “family”of my wife.
    I love Logan as my own flesh and blood.
    The laws here are beyond prejudice and more bigoted when it comes to foreigners and illegitimate children.By definition a child who is not parented by both biological parents and parents legally married (normally as a Catholic) are considered illegitimate and has limited rights to a legitimate child-property inheritance and so-forth.They are looked down on and scorned by some in the culture and unequal by law.My problem is that due to the laws here and USCIS “reading between the lines”there may be an issue that Logan’s abusive “mother”may still have custody rights even though she did the above and deserted Logan 6 years ago.I do have what the P.I.calls a Legal “Affidavit of Consent and Support”signed and notarized by Logan’s “mother giving me full custody in her absence.
    I was able to acquire a B-2 visa for her ! 1/2 years ago.
    Needless to say we are in financial straights and been rebuilding our lives the past 5 years and just surviving as all was stolen and I am on a meager pension.
    Do you know of any advocacy’s or organizations that can assist us? I am able to work and make extra income once home but here it is restrictive if not impossible by law.We must go soon.
    Your consideration is appreciated
    Gary and Logan

  53. I am a single father of three. I do not have custody of my three kids, but I am constantly caring for them. Working is hard for me because I must care for my children when their mother cannot. I want to go to school to get a barber’s license, CDL or construction license. I cannot work, go to school and afford a place for myself and my children. Can anyone help me? I really need it.

  54. siju k peter says:

    my parents aged above 65 now they will b went for their job get a financial grand useful to them help me pleaseeeee

Speak Your Mind



Skip to toolbar