As a single mom you probably fall into the low to moderate income category and may need single mother apartment assistance. This is because there is a huge discrepancy in this country between how much it costs to rent or to buy an apartment and how much most people actually earn. Low income families, such as those families headed by a single mother, simply cannot afford a decent apartment unless they spend the majority of their salary to do so. Luckily there are structures in place aimed at addressing this situation. There are a number of low-income apartment programs that exist for the purpose of closing the gap between the cost of housing and the amount of money that the vast majority earns. Basically you should not be spending more than thirty percent of your salary on your apartment. This includes rent and other things like utility bills. If you are spending more than thirty percent you may find that you do not have enough money to pay for other necessities.
Finding A Cheap Apartment: An Overview For Single Moms
There are a number of things that you as a single mom can do when looking for an apartment that is affordable for you and your family. Some of the things listed here are forms of single mother apartment assistance, while others are simply things that you can do for yourself without assistance.
- One of the things that you could do is to consider getting roommates. If you can find another single mom with kids about the same age as yours, perhaps you and she should consider moving in together. There are a number of benefits to this. For one there will be two incomes and you will be able to split the cost of rent. Secondly your children will have other kids around to play. Thirdly you will not feel as alone as you will be with someone in the same position as you. Safety in numbers is also an advantage, but the most important benefit for the purpose of this article is that you will be able to live in a better apartment than if you were not planning to share.
- Surprisingly enough you may be able to turn to your local realtors for single mother apartment assistance. A lot of single moms do not realize that realtors are often on the side of the disadvantaged. For example, if you live in an area where there are a lot of apartments that are available to rent, your realtor may be able to negotiate cheaper rates for you. Realtors often belong to nonprofits or other organizations aimed at getting you back on your feet. If an apartment has been vacant for a very long time, your realtor will probably be able to negotiate a very good rate for you and your family.
- When you are looking for assistance in purchasing or renting an apartment you should consider contacting the Housing and Urban Development (or HUD) program. This is a nationwide program aimed at ensuring that as many people as possible have access to adequate apartments. There is, however, a long waiting list. It is easy to get the ball rolling and it is suggested that if you would like apartment assistance through this means that you apply sooner rather than later. To apply download an application from the HUD website or call the Public Housing Authority’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-955-2232.
This is just a quick overview of things that you can do to find affordable apartments for you and your family as a single mother. In a way it is an indication that you are not alone in this dilemma and that there are structures and organizations in place that are specifically there to help you find the best apartment possible. More people than you may realize are aware of the importance of providing a good quality home for a child in order to ensure that that child develops well. Consequently there are several apartment assistance for single parents options available for your consideration.
Types Of Single Mother Apartment Assistance
The HUD provides financing to local housing authorities all over the country to provide apartments, for low income tenants such as single mothers. These public housing communities can be found in many areas around the country. The benefits that you receive depend to a large degree on your income. In some cases you will still have to pay rent, but it will be a lot lower than what you would normally pay in that area. In some instances tenants in public housing complexes do not have to pay any rent at all.
These apartments are managed by the government. However you could also get HUD housing that is in fact run by a private landlord. The HUD provides private landlords with funding to build and supply affordable apartments on their land. The landlord’s responsibility in these situations is to offer you an apartment at a far lower rent than others in the area. The HUD then pays the landlord the difference between what you pay and what the actual market value of the apartment is. The market value is how much you would normally pay for an apartment in that part of the country if you did not need apartment assistance for single parents.
Each state also provides apartment assistance to low income families. They tend to each have their own programs in place to assist with this, so you will have to enquire with the relevant bodies within your own state about what your options are when it comes to single mother apartment assistance. These programs are diverse and provide a number of different apartment assistance options to families like those headed by single mothers who simply cannot afford to rent or to buy an apartment on normal terms.
Let’s spend some time talking about the eligibility requirements for someone who would like to get assistance for single mothers through the HUD, or Housing and Urban Development Program. As mentioned previously this is a government program aimed at helping low income families find a good and safe home. This includes single mothers who are looking for assistance with apartment. There are salary requirements that you will need to meet if you want to benefit from this program. These are the following:
- You earn no more than 80 percent of the area’s median income = low income
- You earn no more than 50 percent of the area’s median income = very low income
- You earn no more than 30 percent of the area’s median income = extremely low income
To be eligible you must fall into one of these categories. Not all single mothers fall into any of the low income categories, despite popular belief, and there are many that earn enough to pay for an apartment on their own. But in many cases the fact remains that single mothers only have one salary to rely on (their own) and therefore tend to earn less than other families.
One of the main advantages of the HUD program is that, once you have been approved as meeting the HUD standards, you can rent any apartment that you like as long as it falls within the guidelines that the HUD gives you. This means that you will have a choice about where you can live. A lot of single moms as well as single dads worry that getting help from the government means that they will be told where they can and cannot stay, but in reality you have a lot more freedom of choice than that over the situation.
When it is confirmed that you are eligible to receive financial aid from the HUD to help you with renting an apartment you will be given a monthly voucher by the HUD that will cover either all of part of your rent. This voucher is given to your landlord. In some cases the HUD pays the landlord directly. The money cannot be used for any purpose other than for paying for the rent on your particular apartment, which is a good thing as you will not be able to accidentally spend it on something else. I am sure that you agree that this is an option worth looking into.
If you feel that the battle to find an affordable apartment for you and your family is one that you cannot win, think again. There are plenty of people on your side. In fact in many cases cities force developers to build low-cost apartment blocks in order to meet the needs of low to moderate income families such as those headed by single parents. A lot of single moms are not aware of the various single mother apartment assistance options out there and do not take advantage of them as they should. Providing a safe home is an important part of being a good mother.