In the olden days, society frowned on people with disabilities having children, so there was no such thing as financial help for disabled parents. We have evolved as a society, however, thank goodness. Today there are many parents with disabilities in the world with the same rights as everyone else, as it should be. Some parents with disabilities are having a hard financial time of it, however, and this article seeks to discuss financial help for disabled parents.
The fact is that there are in excess of eight million families in America in which one or both parents are disabled and need financial help for disabled parents. One needs to be cognisant of the fact that not all people are born with a disability. Some attain disability status via motor vehicle or other accidents, some because of diseases, and others due to the type of work that they do or did before, such as our armed forces.
Social Security Disability Insurance Grant
There is a lot of financial help for disabled parents if one just knows where to look. One of the types of assistance that is available is an SSDI Grant. Social Security Disability Insurance has various definitions and requirements for those who are able to claim grants. Their definition of disabled and requirements for receiving a grant are:
- A person who is totally unable to work because they have a disability that will last for at least one year.
- A person with a disability that will end in death.
- A person who has paid Social Security for a minimum period, based on age.
- There are additional benefits for parents with minor children. One can receive from up to 50% of your SSDI benefit to up to 180% – the SSDI will determine the amount that you are entitled to.
- You will need to provide a birth certificate for the child for whom you want to claim benefits and a Social Security Card.
- Financial help for disabled parents children will continue until the child turns 18.
- If the child is also disabled the benefits will continue as long as proof of the disability can be provided.
Children’s Health Insurance Program
There are also other types of assistance that are available for disabled parents, apart from Financial help for disabled parents, which includes a Children’s Health Insurance Program or CHIP:
- CHIP is a Medicaid programme which provides health insurance benefits to in excess of seven million its own CHIP programme.
- Contact your local County Assistance Office to apply for benefits.
- Benefits and eligibility are calculated on the income and size of the household.
- Benefits could be entirely free or low-cost comprehensive health insurance, depending on your income.
Housing Choice Vouchers
Housing assistance is another form of assistance for disabled parents with minor children. Although this is not a direct form of financial help for disabled parents, it certainly helps financially. As with any other form of assistance, there are certain requirements for eligibility:
- Your eligibility will be based on the average income in your local area.
- If your average annual income is 50% or less than the average income of the area, you may be eligible to receive Housing Choice Vouchers.
- Applications can be made to your local Public Housing Authority.
- If you are eligible, you can rent any unit you want, if the landlord agrees to accept the voucher in full or part payment.
- Vouchers are paid directly to the landlord and you are responsible for any shortfall between the rental of your unit and the amount of the voucher.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is another assistance program for disabled parents, although not a hard-cash financial help for disabled parents. The SNAP program has replaced the old Food Stamp program.
- This change was made to ensure that these monies were only spent on food, to ensure that children and the disabled parents were actually getting sufficient nutrition in their diets.
- Eligibility is calculated on the income, resources and the amount of people in your household.
- SNAP is in the guise of a debit card with which you can buy ONLY food.
- The benefit amount is automatically loaded onto the card each month.
- Each State administers its own SNAP programme.
- You can apply for these benefits at your Local Assistance Office.
Unfortunately there are many companies and individuals in the world that feel absolutely nothing for anyone else, disabled or not, and they will make their money wherever and however they can. Many of the offers that can be seen on television or heard on radio stations regarding financial help for disabled parents are nothing more than scams and should be avoided like the plague.
Many of these so-called financial help for disabled parents’ assistance programs that offer help are either insurance policies that the companies are trying to smear off on you. Other offers are out and out scams and will swindle you out of the little money that you do have. A good rule-of-thumb to bear in mind is that any offer for financial help for disabled parents that wants you to pay something to receive benefits is a scam.
Federal and State-Funded grants
There are sufficient legitimate ways to receive assistance of various kinds, so you need not even contemplate any of the cheap sales-pitches on the radio. Here are some Federal and State-Funded grants that you may be eligible for:
- Will pay out for short-term disabilities acquired at work.
- Generally the insurance for Worker’s Compensation is paid by the Employer.
- Worker’s Compensation financial help for disabled parents could be in the form of cash or medical care.
- Sometimes you can return to work after a period of time, but the disability does not allow you to perform the same type of work as before. If you then earn less because of this, you may be able to continue receiving disability compensation.
- Your company should be able to provide you the claim forms; if not apply to Worker’s Compensation directly.
- Remember worker’s financial help for disabled parents comes in various forms.
- A college degree could provide you with the ability to do any type of work that you are able to do.
- The American Government offers many needs-based grants for further study.
- These grants can assist with tuition and other school expenses.
- Various Education Institutions also offer their own grants for the disabled.
- One of the biggest programs is the Pell Grant, which will pay up to $5 550 annually.
Always remember, just because you are disabled does not mean that you need be hopeless or helpless. There are many government and private institutions in America that offer financial help for disabled parents in one form or another. What you need to do is to find out which program will assist you the most, and for which you will be eligible.
There are various government grants available for different situations, so no matter for which reason you are disabled, the extent of your disability or the length of time that you will be disabled, there is sure to be some form of assistance for you.
Some of the types of grants that are available are:
- Coal Mine Workers’ Compensation – for coal miner’s that have become disabled.
- CRSC – for those who have retired from the military due to combat-related disabilities.
- Early Intervention Program for Infants and Toddlers With Disabilities – for children with disabilities.
- Tax Help for People With Disabilities – for disabled adults who struggle to pay their taxes.
The above are just an example of some of the grants for financial help for disabled parents that are available. There are many more, too many to mention them all in this article. If you would like to find out more, you can visit Benefits.gov for an entire and comprehensive list.
How can I apply for Disability Benefits?
- Social Security Disability Insurance benefits can be applied for online or in person.
- You will need to complete an Application for SSDI benefits.
- You will need to fill out an Adult Disability Report. This can be done online too.
- You can also contact the Social Security toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment with your local Social Security office in order to file a disability claim.
- If you have mobility problems, they will take your financial help for disabled parents application over the phone.
- If you have a hearing disability, you should rather phone a TTY toll-free number, 1-800-325-0778.
- If you make an appointment, the office will send you a Disability Starter Kit, which will aid you in preparing for your interview.
- You can also get the Disability Starter Kit online at Socialsecurity.gov
When applying for financial help for disabled parents, there are also additional forms that will have to be completed covering your medical condition, and how your ability to work has been affected. You will also need to sign forms that will give your doctors, hospitals and whichever healthcare professionals attended to you permission to share your health history with the Social Security Office.
When must I apply for disability benefits?
- Apply as soon as you can after becoming disabled.
- Benefits sometimes take a long time to process so the quicker you apply the better.
What information will I need to provide when applying for financial help for disabled parents?
- Your birth certificate.
- Your Social Security Number.
- Birth Certificates for your Children.
- Full Contact Details for Caseworkers, Hospitals, Doctors and Clinics that you attended who can attest to your condition.
- A list of the appointments that you attended at these institutions and doctors offices.
- Any laboratory or test results.
- The names and dosages of any medication that you need to take.
- Any and all Medical Records that concern your condition and treatment that you had.
- Details as to where you previously worked.
- Your W2 Form or Federal Tax Return for the previous year.
Once you have completed all the forms and other requirements for financial help for disabled parents, it will take a few months for a decision to be made. You will be informed by letter, whatever the decision is. If you have succeeded in your application for financial help for disabled parents, you will be informed what benefits you will be receiving and when the first payment will be made. If your application has not been approved, you will be informed as to why it was turned down and what the appeal process is that you can follow should you not agree with the decision. One of the very important additional benefits to a SSDI Grant from government is that it includes Medicaid
Once you are awarded financial help for disabled parents, there are certain requirements with which you need to comply. You will be given a publication called What You Need To Know When You Get Disability Benefits which will tell you everything you need to know regarding your benefit and what changes in your circumstances must be reported to the Social Security Office.
It is very important that you read through the publication in detail, as you could lose your benefits if it is found out that you have failed to comply with the rules and regulations governing the benefit.
These could include:
- Advising of any outstanding arrest warrants for felony offences.
- Advising them of any pending criminal court-cases.
- Being arrested, convicted of a crime and jailed.
- Change of address or circumstances.
- Change in employment status, even if self-employed.
If you have a sight disability or any other disability that makes it difficult for you to apply for Financial help for disabled parents, there are other ways of getting assistance to apply. You can request that a Social Worker be sent to your home to assist you, or do everything over the phone. There are also Non-Governmental Institutions and Advocacy Agencies that will assist you to get the aid you need.
Remember, if you need help, reach out to somebody and ask for help – you may be surprised how much you will get if you just ask.
Originally posted 2011-10-12 06:03:35.